I am a 20 year old Media and Communications student currently in my second year at Coventry University. I have had a strong interest in Media since school, and my time at university has only strengthened this. This has culminated in a piece of my work being published in ‘Cinematic E-Magazine’in Apr’ 2013. Additionally my journalistic work has been referenced by New York Film Festival 2013, and I proofread a first draft of the published work Studying Bollywood. I have a variety of applicable and theoretical skills regarding the field of media, including writing, social media application, audience theory and understanding, research methodology, and gender studies (focusing on feminism and sexuality). My skills have been developed across a range of practical and theoretical modules, including:
- Contemporary Theories
- Living In The Digital World
- Critical Media Methods
- Media and Cultural Fields
- Digital Screen Cultures
- Understanding Media and Communication (1st and 2nd Year)
- Public Relations
Additionally I have high IT Levels skills (Microsoft Office) and working knowledge of editing software (iMovie, GarageBand, Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Audition) alongside basic camera knowledge and storyboard skills. I am also very confident at speaking publically, and my team skills have been developed both in positions of leadership within groups and as working group members.
2012-present Coventry University
Media and Communications (BA Hons) [Predicted 1st Class]
Key Areas of Study: Social Media, Audience, Genre, Narrative, Representation, Gender and Sexuality, and Media Intertextuality.
2010-2012 Stratton Upper School Sixth Form
A Levels: English Language and Literature (A), History(B), Media Studies(A) [AS Level Geography (B)]
2007-2010 Stratton Upper School
11 GCSEs A*-C English (A*A*), Science (B), Maths (C)
Date: November 2013 – On-going
Location and Job Title: Coventry University – Academic Research Assistant
Duties: Working as a research assistant and co-author for Dr. Adrienne Evans on her current research project performing the background investigation looking into ‘Living Dolls’ and associated fields. Assisting with archiving website forums and comments, researching for articles online, and compiling my findings for analysis and discussions with relevance to the project at a fortnightly meeting. Co-authoring with Adrienne Evans, Mafalda Stasi and Gemma Commane, requiring professional communication and academic writing at an academic journal standard.
Skills: Academic writing / Research Methodology and Data Collection and Management/ Time Management at a Professional Level / Critical Analysis / Problem Solving / Group Working and Communication
Date: October 2012 – On-going
Location and Job Title: Coventry University – Head Writer at Coventry University East Asian Film Society
Duties: Writing reviews of films sent by Terracotta Films and Third Windows Distribution for publication on Cine-Vue Film Blog and cueafs.com. Attending events and festivals (including East Winds Film Festival and Udine Far East Film Festival) to work as a reviewer (including European and world premiere film reviews). I also edit the work of other writers on my team as necessary.
Skills: Leadership of a Small Team of Writers / Proof Reading / Journalism / Cultural Studies / High Pressure Time Management / Independent Projects / Transcription
Date: July 2012– Part-Time
Location and Job Title: Manor Farm Riding School – Groom
Duties: Part time job worked over the university holidays. I am responsible for feeding, stable management, field management, general horse care, assisting with lessons, and working with children on open days. Standards are high and I am responsible for achieving these standards in my work to ensure a safe and clean environment.
Skills: Team Working / Time Management / Working with Animals and Children / Hygiene, Cleaning and Health and Safety in High Risk Areas
Achievements and Personal Interests
- Keen horse rider (15 years + experience). Raised £2000 for The British Horse Society 2011-2012, culminating in a charity ride across Iceland on native horses for seven days in a very difficult but very rewarding and enjoyable experience.
- Intermediate recreational road runner (300 miles + a year)
- Working on my blog HJAlboneMedia, with a collection of contemporary essays regarding popular areas such as Game of Thrones, as well as articles on Nintendo, RPGs, puppetry and Disney Princesses.
- Video gaming, mostly focused on RPGs, with fantasy and historical games.
- Passionate about gender equality, feminism, and animal rights and welfare.
- Interested in Japanese culture and anime.
- Enjoy spending time with friends and family, going out to dinner, attending art galleries and exhibitions, and spending time in the countryside.
- Travelling to new places and exploring them. Most enjoy travelling to places with distinct cultures, landscapes and histories.
- Watching films and television series – British and American series, with Japanese anime and East Asian cinema.
References available on request